Activities and Sight SeeingPort Alfred
There is a saying in South Africa that the Eastern Cape is where the Summer spends the Winter.
Things worth while knowing about our area.
- The largest pineapple in the world. Bathurst
- The largest area of pineapple farming, in the country. Bathurst
- The largest chicory factory in the world. Alexandria
- The largest shifting dune fields in the world. They can be seen from space. Alexandria
- The only region in the Southern hemisphere that boasts 5 of the world biomes in one region.
- The most concentrated specimens of flora in sub Saharan Africa. Over 2000 species.
- Great Fish Point Lighthouse, one of the 18, manned, historical lighthouses in Africa.
- Foremost pilot training in the world. 43 Air School. Port Alfred.
- Unique artists, in global terms. Sculpture and nautical instruments.
- Stenden University. One of a kind campus for the ‘hospitality trade’ from Holland.
- Beyond Adventure; The famous gap-year facility.
- Boutique beer brewery. In Wharf Street
- Malaria free game reserves. Most of them holding the Big 5
- Unique health resorts
- Rare fossil sites
- Amazing shipwrecks still visible along the coastline.
- Over 300 documented bird species, many rare.
- Amazing shells along our coast line and our very own ‘pod’ of dolphins, so famous they are mentioned on ‘Discovery’ ofter.
- We have boat-buiders who are very famous, as well as some who construct aeroplanes.
- A plentitude of acknowledged, historical monuments.
Port Alfred Restaurants
The Links – 046 624 2345
Graze By The River – 046 624 8095
The Haylards – 046 624 3355
The Thistle Restaurant – 046 624 1379
Guido’s – 046 624 5264
Ocean Basket – 046 624 1727
Spur Tahoe – 046 624 5330
Wharf Street Brewery – 046 624 4947
Port Alfred Activities
Visit The Kowie River Museum
Sunsets at Kelly’s Beach
Horse Trail Riding
Kowie Sports Club (Bowls, Tennis & Croquet)
Port Alfred Golf Club
Local Game Reserves/Parks
Canoe and Boat Rides up the River
Diving and Deep Sea Fishing